Due to a bit of a technical glitch on the webapge, this months page will look very different to last months. It'll be sorted very shortly
Final reminder re CLUB SUBS. Thank you if you’ve already paid, but if you haven’t and still need to, please do so ASAP. Preferred method of payment by BACS as per the following
Senior £12.00 , Under 18’s £5.00, Social £5.00
CLUB RIDE RIDE REPORT
SUNDAY 23RD MAY – PETE WILLIAMSAssembled on the “start line” today were Rob G, Barry B, Nick H, myself and also Pete Brocklehurst on his newly assembled e-trike!! It was really good to see Pete out again at The Rising Sun, although he did say that as he had ridden from Stalybridge he was heading straight back home. I hope he had enough of a power supply left to assist him up the “Col de Mottram Cutting”.
Nick stayed at the start to await Rob P while they went on the “B-run”. Which left Rob G, Barry and myself to head over to Congleton so that we could sample the delights of indoor dining at Wetherspoons for the first time since Covid restrictions were relaxed on the previous Monday. The continual rain of the last few days (weeks!!) had abated but we had to contend with a fairly strong headwind on the way out, accompanied by a few flooded lanes. This all transpired to nearly make us miss the 11.30 cut-off for the breakfast menu! And we then had the pleasure of a good tailwind for the ride home down Giantswood Lane, Siddington and the Alderley bypass, and we all arrive home without the rain which was expected in the afternoon!
CYCLING QUOTES (AND OTHER FUNNIES)Cycopath Noun (siko.paTH) … a person with a chronic cycling disorder. Symptoms include the constant urge to be out on their bike.
“Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul” – Nicola Miller
“The older I get, the faster I was” – Paul Webb
CLUB RACE RESULTS10TT J2/1
12TH MAY N HAINING 29.02
19TH MAY N HAINING 31.02
26TH MAY N HAINING 30.22
GREAT BARRIER REEF MASTERS ROAD RACE
22ND MAY K DYSON 1ST
GREAT BARRIER REEF MASTERS CRITERIUM
23RD MAY K DYSON 1ST
IF ANYONE HAS ANY RACE RESULTS PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO THEY CAN BE INCLUDED IN THE NEWSLETTER.
CLUB 10TT SERIES RUN BY WESTMEAD 88 AND MACC WHEELERS AS USUAL. BEST 6TT RESULTS COUNT TOWARDS CLUB 10TT CHAMPION AND HANDICAP CHAMPIONSHIP. PLEASE SEE MACC WHEELERS WEBSITE FOR COURSE DETAILS AND TIMINGS.
CLUB 25 NEW DATE – SUNDAY 8TH AUGUST AT 2PM – COURSE J2/9
INTERNATIONAL RACE RESULTS …
22nd May Vuelta Andalucia Miguel Angel Lopez Team Movistar
23rd May Vuelta Murcia Antonio Guirao Team Euskaltel- Euskadi
23rd May Circuit De Wallonie Christophe Laporte Team Confidis
30th May Giro D’Italia Egan Bernal Team Ineos
MAY’S QUIZ ANSWERS
- 1. Lance Armstrong was born in which American state? Texas
- 2. Who are the two Swiss riders to have won the Veló d’Or? Tony Rominger &Fabian Cancellara
- 3. Which American rode his 17th Tour de France in 2012? George Hincapie
- 4. Who was runner-up in the Tour de France points competition in 2009 and 2010? Mark Cavendish
- 5. Sir Bradley Wiggins was born in which country? Belgium
- 6. Sir Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome and Robert Millarare three of the four British riders to have enjoyed a top ten Tour de France finish. Who is the fourth? Tommy Simpson
- 7. How many riders are awarded King of the Mountains points in the Tour de France on the highest category climbs? Ten
- 8. What type of race is known as the race of truth? Time trial
- 9. Where was Mark Cavendish born? Isle of Man
- 10. In which year was the Olympic cycling team named Team of the Year at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award ceremony? 2008
JUNE’S QUIZ QUESTIONS1. Who won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award in 2012?
2. Who was the first Briton to hold the Tour de France green jersey for two consecutive days?
3. If all the teams that started the 2013 Tour de France were listed alphabetically, which would be last on the list?
4. Since its creation in 1992, who is the only Frenchman to have won the Vélo d’Or award? 5. ‘L’arrivée’ is the French for which part of the race?
6. Which Briton won the Tour de Romandie in 2012?
7. Who was stripped of victory in the 2006 Tour de France over a doping offence?
8. Excluding France, which country has hosted the opening stage of the Tour de France the most times?
9. Who is older – Frank Schleck or Andy Schleck?
10. Which veteran, who rode his 15the Tour de France in 2012, said, ‘I am confident that when I get really old, the human lifespan will be extended’?
As always, safe cycling everyone. Enjoy the sunny weather and keep safe. Nick